Friday, February 10, 2012

Don't Quit (And Why Giving Up Is An Oxymoron)



Don't quit.  Sometimes it is the overused, trite and true cliche that still says it best.  Don't quit.  Never quit. Don't give up.  Never give up.  It's all the same, and it is all the truth.  The real truth.  You can't quit.  We can't quit.  You can't let your kids quit, or your friends quit, or your family quit.  Lead them by example. Don't quit. Never quit. 

"Giving up" is an oxymoron.  If you give up, you are not giving anything at all... you are taking away.  You are taking away opportunity. You are taking away dreams.  You are taking away hope.  You are taking away the chance to be all you can be (yup, love those cliche's).  Seriously, the only things you should ever even consider quitting are those things that truly damage you.  If it is toxic, toss it.  Anything else, you have to hang on.  Hang on tight.  For the long haul.  Forever.

If you never quit, time is always on your side.  If you never give up, you always have more to give.  Another step, another try, another shot.  Better this time because you've done it before.  Better this time because you haven't quit, you haven't given up, and you've gained knowledge and experience along the way.  If you never quit your journey continues, and the journey is what you live. Getting to the goal is just the gravy.

Last year I started running, and worked my way up, slowly and surely, to be able to run a half-marathon in  October. It was an awesome feeling of personal accomplishment.  Then I had an accident in December and could not run for several months.  Now I am starting from the beginning again.  I can't do the distance yet.  What was becoming fun and easy last year, is hard again.  Really hard.  It would be easy to quit.  I want to quit.  I really want to quit (especially during those first few steps every time I run).  But I won't quit.  I can't quit. I've done it before and I know I can do it again.

Business is the same.  You can't quit.  Dreams are the same.  You can't quit.  Goals are the same.  You can't quit.  It is NEVER too late.  Anything you want to work toward you can start RIGHT NOW.  Or in an hour.  Or tomorrow. Or next week.  The choice is yours.  You have the power.  We have the power.

Just don't quit.




Photo Credit: © gunnar3000 - Fotolia.com

0 comments: