Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Feeling Full After A Half-Marathon


There is something incredibly human about running.  According to many articles, books and talks, we are made for running.  Our erect biped being makes running as natural for homo sapiens as flying is for birds.  We used to run as a tribe, chasing our prey over vast distances until it collapsed from exhaustion and the running man conquered the savage beast without a blow. Whole villages ran to follow the hunters to the fallen spoil.  Perhaps that is why I found running in a race to be such a deeply satisfying experience, and a deeply emotional one...it is in our DNA...

Back To Basics

Running is so simple.  Put one foot in front of the other.  Again, and again and again. You don't need any special equipment... just the shoes on your feet (unless you opt for barefoot running).  You don't need to belong to a gym or a club, or take lessons, or hire a trainer.  You just need to be human, and be willing to move...

Alone In The Crowd

I recently ran in my first race, a half-marathon, and it was an experience I will always remember, and look forward to repeating.  The camaraderie of strangers, coming together for a common, yet individual goal is the embodiment of inspiration.  The human race was represented in the race by every imaginable shape, size, ethnicity and age.  So many different people gathered for such a singular goal - to run 13.1 miles.  Each runner fully aware that everyone of us is a winner the moment we cross the finish line, whether the first or the last to do so...

The support of strangers as you pass them and as they pass you is remarkable, matched only by the support of the volunteers at the water stations and the passing cars honking their support and the passersby who just happened along as a race crossed their path.   Running is such a personal pursuit - you and your body and your thoughts - yet running in a race is such a communal feeling at the same time.  You are truly one with yourself and one with the crowd - an amazing, empowering, combination. I was overwhelmed by emotion on more than one occasion as I plodded forth to run, non-stop, farther than I ever had before.

If I Can, YOU Can!

Still I bit winded, in the video below I share my initial thoughts after running in the Miami Halloween Half-Marathon. Inspired by my son, I began my running journey in February, first by running a minute, then walking a minute for 3 to 4 miles... rinse, repeat. Over weeks and months I gradually increased the time running, until I was running the entire 3-4 miles non-stop. Then it was a matter of slowly and surely increasing my distance...

A year ago I never dreamed I could run 4 miles, let alone 13.1. Any goal is possible if you take it step by step, in smaller, attainable bites. If I can become a runner, so can you!!! If I can become a runner, I can probably do anything I set my mind to... and so can you!



0 comments: