Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Lesson From The Court: Ya Gotta Commit!

This morning my son and I were at the gym and we decided to warm up with a game of one on one.  We hadn't played basketball together in a while and the sounds and smells of the ball and hardwood were a welcome reminder of how much I have always enjoyed playing hoops.  Considering how long it had been since I had dribbled (not counting the saliva kind of dribbling) I was pleased to be sinking a fair amount of baskets.

Swish!

As the game got into its groove I noticed that I almost always could tell if a shot was going to be good the moment the ball left my hands. I could feel it because in that instant I knew whether I had committed to the shot or not.  If I was committed, in it went.  If I was just going through the motions, however, the ball had no chance of hitting its target.  The thing is, it was easy to feel the difference between going through the motions and committing.  If it is so easy to know the difference, why would I ever just go through the motions?  Why can't I commit to every shot?

Game Theory

I realized that this applies to just about everything we do.  We can tell when we are just going through the motions.  We feel it.  We know it.  Yet we still do it.  I still do it.  What a waste.  Just as in a basketball shot, going through the motions - in anything - is rarely if ever going to lead to success.  On the other hand, if you commit, really commit - to just about anything - not only does it feel right, but it has a high probability of being a winning shot.  At one time or another we are all guilty of just going through the motions - with family, friends, relationships, business - I know I have, and I know if I am honest, I can feel the difference, just like on the court.

It Is Our Choice

I want to sink more baskets, in life and in everything I do, so I am going to try harder to commit fully to every action, large or small.  When I sense that feeling of just going through the motions I will do my best to quash it and commit instead!

How about you?


Photo Credit:© Andrew S. - Fotolia.com

Posted via email from Kiss My SASS!