Friday, July 02, 2010

Ringtones So Easy A Caveman Could Do it....



I first met the GEICO Caveman at a party at SXSW in 2008.  I was immediately struck by his charm and good looks, as were many others at the party including Robert Scoble and Mashable's Pete Cashmore (see the picture I took below).  Since that chance meeting with the Caveman, I have been very impressed by GEICO's ability to manage three very distinct, equally entertaining and effective branding campaigns at the same time.  In addition to the readily recognizable Neanderthal, GEICO's plucky Gecko and wide-eyed wad of MONEY are also fun, friendly and powerful bits of branding for the Insurance giant.




GEICO Gets It...

Clearly the GEICO team gets the value of entertaining marketing and has wisely leveraged all types of media from traditional TV ads to YouTube, Flickr, Facebook, Twitter and Mobile to share and spread the fun, never losing sight of the underlying message that GEICO can save you money on your insurance.  They have leveraged new media platforms for both entertainment and practical services as well.  For example the GEICO Glovebox iPhone app lets you do everything from manage your account to learn how to change a tire, to find a taxi or roadside service.  Smart marketing all around.


Ringa Da Ding Ding Dingy Dong...

You have probably seen the GEICO "ringtone" commercials (see below).  Since I work at Myxer I was thrilled to see such a clever use of ringtones in a national TV ad, and at the same time I wished we could have all of GEICO's great mobile content available to the Myxer community.  Well, sometimes you get what you ask for, and I am very pleased to say that we have partnered with GEICO to offer some awesome (and free) ringtones and wallpapers for your phone.  You can guess which one I have already set as my default ringtone... it's BOSS!

0 comments: