Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Thoroughly Modern Millie!

Poster for the film Thoroughly Modern MillieImage via WikipediaAhhh, technology! As a serious "gadget geek" who is old enough to remember when there was no such thing as a personal computer on every desk or lap, I am a firm believer that technology has no age boundaries. When I look at generations older than my own I can see how those "seniors" who embrace technology are invigorated, connected, and live more enriched and enlightened lives. How can they not? How can it not be better in your retirement years to have the world at your fingertips from the comfort of your PC? How can it not be better to spend your golden years just a mouse click away from all the knowledge, places, and people you could ever dream of reading, seeing or reaching out and touching.

STEVE'S MOM'S BLOG...

With that in mind I was thrilled to see popular vlogger Steve Garfield proudly touting his mom's appearance tonight on ABC World News. Seeing popular blogger Millie Garfield, at age 82, talking with passion and enthusiasm about her blog, and Flickr, Twitter, community and "googling" was a delight and perhaps the best imaginable endorsement of blogging and so called social media. No wonder Steve is always plugging "My Mom's Blog." It is great, and so is she.

MAY I HAVE THE ENVELOPE PLEASE...

Seeing this thoroughly modern Millie also made me think of my own Dad, who, at almost 73, is as addicted to his Blackberry as anyone I know and who doesn't go anywhere without his iPod and Laptop. I am also reminded that the more things change, the more they remain the same. When I was in college, my Dad used to send me big Manila envelopes filled with Xerox copies of pages and pages of stupid jokes. Today, he still sends me the stupid jokes... but now it is by email.

So thanks, Dad, for the stupid jokes (and for being a tech savvy senior). And thanks Millie, for being a blogger and an inspiration!

Are the seniors in your life "connected"?

Here is Steve's "behind the scenes" video of his Mom's ABC World News interview.




Zemanta Pixie